Thursday, July 21, 2005

and the girl on the street is as light on her feet as sunlight bouncing off chrome...

If given the choice, would you rather have:

(a.) adult version mutated chicken pox?
(b.) poison ivy/oak/sumac?

or

(c.) fleas?

It was a little unclear for a while there which one we had (well, more so Richard than me)... but we finally determined, for better or for worse, that Chez K&R is infested with (c.), courtesy of the squirrel family that lived in the rafters this spring. Yes yes yes, we know it'll make a terrific story someday. Yes yes yes, we'll probably laugh about it once we leave Alaska. Once R stops being massively allergic, that is, and we finally get rid of the little suckers -- which we can't quite seem to do, in spite of powerful toxins, compulsive vacuuming, and my brilliant idea to seal half my clothes in garbage bags and stuff them in the freezer -- before learning that they can live for weeks without food and are immune to cold. Heh. I asked Richard if we could get a cat to lure all the fleas to it and then foist it off on some unsuspecting child or hobo, but he said absolutely not.

So our life may not be as amazing as Lauren's, but we like it. Well, except for the vermin and pestilence. And I wouldn't complain if we got more than one non-rainy day per week. And it might be nice if our days off actually coincided so we could actually, you know, go hiking or something. But apart from that, R and I can't complain. We've been settling into our jobs... I've been getting very cozy with my old friend PastPerfect Museum Software, and preparing for Juneau Explorer's Week (ooh ooh, panning for gold with small children), and learning very fast how to maneuver the phones and help the front-desk volunteers when they have crises, since the summer office assistant is half-quitting-half-getting-fired on August 1st and the regular receptionist will be on vacation for the whole beginning of August. That leaves the Director (busy with her own important responsibilities) and the Curator of Collections (busy with her own important responsibilities) and the Curator of Public Programs (busy with her own important responsibilities) and... me. Ulp. As for Richard, he's been making out like a bandit with his employee discount, and his paycheck has already been donated to such worthy causes as 6 cd's from Amazon. So he's not exactly MAKING money... but at least he's not losing it, right? Either way, he's pretty smug because he's now beating me again in our marathon game of Nerts. The score is 977 to 983 and our playing cards are getting extremely dog-eared.

We've somehow managed to get invited to two social gatherings since arriving (both by my co-workers, who are currently providing the closest thing to a social life we have here), and I think I can safely say that between the two of them, we've managed to mingle with every 20something and 30something in town. We went to a festival of short films by local amateurs the other night; the guy who put together the evening told us before the films started that "Some of them will make you laugh out loud, and some of them will make you wish you'd stayed home tonight and not wasted your time." Which was right about on the money. It was fun, though, and we got to see the short film that our sort-of-friend Scott made when he climbed some crazy mountain in Nepal. (And J and M will be pleased to learn that we took out "Napoleon Dynamite" from the library, which R had never seen in spite of being deathly sick of it already from all his students quoting it incessantly this past year, and he loved it... he can quote it now at a rate that would put even Matt to shame. Success!) (On the subject of movies and libraries, can I just take this opportunity to add that 1. the Douglas Public Library is possibly my favorite place in Juneau, and 2. Sandy, I reserved Le voyage de Chihiro from said wonderful library and I'm FINALLY going to watch it, just to make my Miyazaki experience more complete!)

Eep, this is long. But I just wanted to give my rabid fans something to sink their teeth in since I don't post all too often. We still haven't gone to the glacier or hiked up anything steeper than the Dan Moller Trail (which already kicked my poor wussy butt, in spite of its relative shallow grade) or even really explored the whole town, but someday when R recovers from his leprosy -- er, flea bites -- and we actually have a day off together, that will definitely happen. Or maybe we'll just sit around and listen to Ryan Adams and eat veggie dogs and play cards, which we're pretty good at doing.

Okay, more from me at a future date, when you're not sick of reading my rambles. Love to you all!

12 comments:

  1. Whoa detracting from the enjoyment of my filler jokes with actual content. Well, I stole some of your thunder by already telling several regular blog readers about your fleas, so there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your flea-ridden pain: when we first bought our house, and were still only spending weekends up here, with no furniture, we discovered the first floor in particular was just *infested*. I took to keeping a big bowl of water next to the air mattress at night, so I could drown the little buggers as they woke me up. There must have been about forty in the bowl on average after a typical night. Fun!

    The good news is that they will go away, of course. Given regular-enough bathing and laundry, and no furred creatures for them to use as a sustainable ecosystem, they eventually do die off. Especially with the help of massive ammounts of toxic chemicals. ;)

    --M

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Napoleon Dynamite skills have sadly atrophied. Must...purchase...

    --M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday, someone must explain this "Nerts".

    --M
    [Hahaha, three comments in quick succession to the same post! I'm such a geek...but they *are* on different topics.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, you're really helping to cure me of my jealousy over your Alaskan experience. Keep this up, and soon someone could not pay me enough to go to Alaska. Thanks, Katie!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was 19, my friend and college roommate Jennifer and I got summer jobs as Mini-Monorail hostesses at HemisFair in San Antonio, Texas. We lived in this super-cheap apartment next to the San Antonio River (having immediately moved out of the accommodations Jennifer's father had arranged for us...a convent! with LOTS of rules), and we found out that our place - while free of rules - was riddled with CRICKETS. They came out whenever the lights were turned off. Every morning we would arise and kill dozens of them. We even had a little chart on the wall with daily tally marks. Amazing how quickly we adapted to this intrusion. Why didn't we just sleep with the lights on? Ah, youth.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, we have an infestation of millipedes at work. Every day I crush about a dozen on them. My office floor is littered with their little carcasses.

    Not as bad as fleas, of course, but I feel a little bit of your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a similar thing with bees in 4th grade... a competition between the classrooms to see who could kill the most. Good times with insect infestations. And mom, since when did you live in a convent or work at a mono-rail?? How come the only stories you could come up for me as a kid were the ones about breaking the eggs and painting the car purple?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So if anyone, particularly M, is still scrolling down to read these comments (and I sincerely hope that if ANY of you are geeky enough to do that, M is):

    Nerts is the game that I think I finally figured out a couple of months ago is basically the same as that Racing Demons card game that J's always begging R to play again. Everyone gets a deck, you set up a mini-solitaire hand, put Aces in the middle, and try to build on them faster than your opponent. More or less.

    Wow... fleas, crickets, millipedes, bees... who knew there were so many insects in the whole world???

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa SO MANY mentions of me in this thread. AWESOME. matt, do you still HAVE my napoleon dynamite? i hope so, otherwise i have no idea where it is. also: kt- today i found an old journal from the beginning of my div iii and an entry from my first trip south has a little post-script list entitled: "things to tell katie." there are two entries. the first reads simply "fart sludge" and the second reads "incessant tim." i can guess at who the second one references but i have NO IDEA about the first...
    xoxox
    j

    ReplyDelete
  11. also- this makes me want to play racing demons right now! roooooosieeeeeeee come play. (kelsey is watching the sandlot, clearly in the middle tier of set-in-the-early-60s-baseball-slash-coming of age stories made in the early 90s. are you jealous of my saturday night?)
    still xoxo
    j

    ReplyDelete