Sunday, July 24, 2005

Highlights of the past few days. No jokes, I promise.

1) The "Grammarama Conference" we had on Friday. Because if I've learned anything from the Simpsons, it's that adding -rama to the end of something boring adds instant excitement. I did get to teach a very successful lesson about the difference between the simple past and the past progressive - with skits and everything. I know you all wish you were there...

2) The tapas party at our trainer's house followed by a drink out with some of the gang. During which time we finally gave up all pretense at moral superiority and started into some serious gossip about those classmates not present. We were proud of ourselves for holding out as long as we did, nearly 2 weeks!

3) All the comment activity on the blog! I didn't even have to fall back on making fun of any more states, as suggested by certain troublemakers. (See KT's post on Idaho and Dan's equally inflammatory post about Louisiana for the success of such a strategy at garnering comments.)

4) Singing with M and R yesterday! (and also with NB and JPK and other such entertaining personalities...) Who knew so many people cared about Jeremiah Ingalls. R and I want mob caps (thanks KT, who educated me as to the proper name for those frilly colonial hats) like the Jeremiah Ingalls Society singers!

5) Watson keeping me company while I read in bed this afternoon, my antidote for the past 6 days of non-stop action. (see Dan's blog again for pictures...) Someday I'll finish rereading the 5th Harry Potter so I can start on the 6th book which is sitting downstairs mocking me every time I walk by. Stupid intensive course!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecita,

    Sorry I missed the Ingalls sing. I just ... couldn't bear the thought of it. Thanks for representin' the whim to the shick.

    Peace,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. they wore MOB CAPS??? and allison MISSED IT??? bradford called me in nj on friday morning and informed me that i couldn't attend the ingalls sing, as i had a religious retreat that day. who knew?

    i have to go to middletown today for a college fair. i was in the shower at 6:15 this morning (sooo early) and had the brilliant thought, "oh i'll be in middletown, i should call rebecca and see if she wants to have dinner!" then i remembered you are in haydenville, and then i remembered the other people i know who live in middletown (pretty much just alice, neely, and phyllis) and then i got shampoo in my eyes and wept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS this is my favorite blog ever. just so you know. far better than the other people i stalk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think you people just post because you wish you had your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And they were wearing those frilly white old-fashioned hats..."
    "Mob caps."
    Pause. "What?"
    "Mob caps."
    Pause. "What?"
    "Mob caps."
    Pause. "I don't understand what you're saying."
    "MOB CAPS."
    Pause. "Log hats?"
    "MOOOOOOOOB CAAAAAAAPS."

    See if I ever attempt to enlighten YOU again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You left out the part where you spelled it several times and I was still like "yes, and?? what are these words of which you speak?" In my defense, the lightening speed at which you provided said vocabulary term misled me, since I wasn't taking into account your vast stores of colonial american knowledge, and never imagined you were actually being helpful and not just interjecting about some other topic.

    ReplyDelete