Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Thanks, Mr. Amateur Photographer!

So we're too stuck in the 20th century to have the time or the inclination or the bandwidth to upload any of our pictures yet. However, I've discovered this fabulous web site which consists of some guy's ongoing "photo essay" of Juneau, from which I selected a couple of shots of stuff that I could actually have taken (except that they're much better than any of my pictures... vive l'internet!). Feel free to peruse the site yourselves, except that there's about a gazillion photos, most of which are of places I have yet to see. However, a brief sampling, complete with this man's enjoyably dorky comments:

This photo was taken from the downtown Juneau side of the channel... somewhere down there in that mess of buildings on Douglas Island is my house!

Yep, that's it alright.

And just to give you an idea of the scale of the insanely large cruise ships that dock RIGHT downtown and dwarf most of the buildings around them. This shot looks like it was taken from the parking garage (the top floor of which is the public library... go figure).

Okay, now you can pretend like I've actually posted pictures. If you want you can Photoshop me and Richard into them.

Love, K

10 comments:

  1. OH SMACK. hey linda- look- i am here FIRST! eat my dust. i didn't even read the actual entry yet (for shame). i just saw that 0 comments and knew what destiny was calling me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i only post in twos7/27/2005 5:56 AM

    ok, now that i've read it and looked at all the pictures (twice): the color scheme of downtown juneau (especially in the second picture) counterintuitively evokes the carribean. maybe it has something to do with "places cruise ships are in fact likely to dock."

    kaaaaaaatieeeee i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was flipping through the photos until I came to one simply titled "roadkill" with the caption "Common Juneau roadkill: shrews, voles, porcupines, squirrels, seagulls and various other birds, deer and black bears. Less common: otter, wolf, brown bear."

    I learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i win AGAIN because i have a blog now, which i will, during the impending road trip, fill (for your benefit, katie) with pictures of kudzu, pipsqueak, and larue's sure to be fabulous ensembles. also, i think we need to introduce kelsey to the world of blogging. if she takes to it like she did to such pop-culture phenomena as "punk'd" or "broco-cheese rice" we'll have a real hit on our hands.

    okay. i promise i'll stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, I just want you to know that I commented on your blog before I read your commeht here. Knowing this may actually make my comment on your blog more inexplicable, but there it is.

    Um, hi Katie. Juneau's pretty.

    What does JWI mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hug. SO I messed up that last bit.

    Here's the picture with Katie photoshopped into juneau.

    BIG HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Disclaimer: My brother is really, really, REALLY not as creepy as his comments would lead one to believe he is. I promise. He's just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not weird. You know you laughed when you saw that picture... then laughed again when you noticed the "jwneau"

    ReplyDelete