Thursday, August 18, 2005

Seasoned traveler looks down upon others, travels some more

When I saw the cover of this week's Valley Advocate, I thought it had promise. A map of America with the title: Drive-By America: Can you see the country traveling 5,700 miles in 26 days? Well, you can catch glimpses. I like road trips! I skimmed the article and was almost instantly bored. Some guy and his wife traveled from Mass. to Colorado, wimped out on going all the way to Montana, and thought they were pretty cool for going through 18 states and averaging 6-8 hours of driving a day. As someone who recently traveled 7,000+ miles in 23 days, and actually did do the whole cross-country thing, through 25 states, I just had to scoff. I don't begrudge these people their trip, but I can't help but think maybe they just need to have a blog for their friends and family and not subject the entire valley to their charming American vignettes such as:

"We saw windmills spinning, drawing water for cows in Nebraska. In Ohio, there was the Starbucks booth in the grocery store where I had to walk the man behind the counter through the process of making a skinny vanilla misto. And in Indiana, there was the little sign outside of a town on State Road 25 that said, "Trucks, no jake breaks, please." Our trip was filled with little episodes like touching the hem of Esther Morris's dress in Cheyenne, Wyoming. And we weren't even in Wyoming for a whole day."

Booooring. (Look, Katie, cows!) In related travel news, I'm about to head out for the weekend. First stop: Middletown, to help Andrea fix up her wonderful new house (and do such other fascinating things as go to the bank.) Next stop: Boston with B, with a side trip to visit my grandfather on his 93rd birthday. I'll keep you posted, maybe take some pictures. Most importantly, I will do my best to uphold my reputation as "a more interesting traveler than that guy."

4 comments:

  1. In the interest of (family) historical accuracy, Grandpa Backer was born in 1909, which means he turns 96 on Saturday! Please - give full credit where it is due!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read that article on my lunch break today and i, too, found it surprisngly flat. two-thirds of the way through i was like, "what's your POINT?" then i stopped reading it. yet it was still far less irritating than alan bisbort's crazy ranting that shames my little leftist heart. that guy's a total fuckwit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray hooray Rebecca is coming!!! <3B

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll always be more interesting than that guy, R, even when you're not traveling.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Ohhh, this probably means you won't be at the Brattleboro sing. Bummer, dude! Well, maybe not for you, but for those of us who WILL be there.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete