Saturday, September 03, 2005

Labor Day and links

It's that time of year when suddenly summer is slipping away. It's particularly bittersweet this time, for it was truly the Summer of Rebecca. For the first time in a long time I was able to indulge in a relaxing, stimulating summer that didn't involve work or screaming children. Full of travel and family and friends. (And good food and Buffy and blogging.) And now suddenly it's Labor Day weekend, Dan went back to school this morning, and I'm faced with another round of packing before heading to Chicago in another week! Of course, I am off to bigger and better things... or at least different and further things. And this year back to school means teaching on my own terms, and I can look forward to eternal spring with tropical vacation spots a mere bus ride away... so long suckers, you can keep your New England winters.

That's all the self-reflection I can muster... I'm getting rusty a month out of my TESOL course.
In other news...

I finally got around to picking up this week's Advocate, and what do I see on the cover? Why, it's a giant picture of The Education of Shelby Knox, that PBS documentary I watched a couple months back in my hotel room in Bozeman, Montana. I'm so ahead of the times.

Also, as if the news from New Orleans wasn't unsettling enough, it seems to be doing wonders to further undermine America's global reputation.
World stunned as US struggles with Katrina
The article begins: "The world has watched amazed as the planet's only superpower struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with some saying the chaos has exposed flaws and deep divisions in American society." Hopefully that insight won't be lost on us here at home.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the lessons of Katrina and our unpreparedness for, in fact maybe our unwitting contributions to this tragedy would open our eyes as a society? Read this excellent column by Molly Ivins http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0509010009sep01,1,6491327.story?coll=chi-news-hed to learn about 3 bad Bush policy decisions that had a severe impact.

    Rebecca have a safe trip to Chicago - we can't wait to see you and indulge your culinary pleasures!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete