Thursday, November 17, 2005

It still feels slightly odd to be here at the museum after dark, like I'm in the middle of the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler or something. Since most of my time here is spent with the outside darker than the inside - not even counting the times the sun ISN'T actually up, like after 3:30pm, or when I work evening receptions - you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but no. Now I have a little time before I go meet R at the shop, so I thought instead of wandering the cold stormy streets of my adopted homeland, I'd stay here and kill time the best way I know how: by blogging! Except all I can really think of to write about was the excellent tuna-salad sandwich that I got at Rainbow Foods this afternoon. R and I have had some weird upset stomachs this week, which have made us cast a wary eye at the copious amounts of expired dairy that we so ebulliantly bought last weekend ("99 cents for organic milk???? Do you think we can finish off two half-gallons before it expires tomorrow? That sounds like a challenge to me!!!!"), but which haven't stopped us from actually consuming said dairy. I've been getting through the past few days on mainly fruit and rice cakes (after which I tend to eat a rich dinner, drink a glass of expired milk, and start the whole process all over again in the morning), but today that wily tuna sandwich caught my eye. And it was worth every penny - well, I'm in Alaska where everything costs twice as much, so it didn't FEEL like it was worth every penny I actually had to cough up - but I was willing to forgive them, just this once. (Okay, let's be honest, we always forgive Rainbow because they're the only natural grocery store in Juneau and we love them.)

Okay, must stop discussing tuna sandwich. I'll tell you instead about the 9-week-old PUPPY that I'm going to meet and play with as soon as R gets off work!!! He was bought to replace Cobalt, our poor little dog-sitting charge who passed away in September, and apparently he's completely different from Cobalt - a totally outgoing, good-natured, roll-with-the-punches kind of pup - which is probably a good thing in the long run. R and I might be left alone with him for an hour (Ellen said we could stay with him if we wanted while she puts in an appearance at somebody's birthday party, yay!), which hopefully is not enough time for him to develop a mysterious/lethal infection, which is what happened the last time she left us alone with her dog. Heh.

My library books are starting to be due after the last day of my internship in December, which makes me feel much closer to leaving than anything else. In honor of my impending departure, I'll start a Things I Miss About The Lower 48 list (I figure there'll be plenty of time for the Things I Miss About Juneau list later). In no particular order:

1. Fresh herbs (And, really, any produce that doesn't crawl onto your doorstep to die within minutes of purchasing it. Do you people know how lucky you are that your bananas have a "yellow" stage in between "bright green" and "dark brown"??? Or that you might conceivably get to witness a point in your scallions' life cycle when they still stand up by themselves???)
2. Shape note singing
3. Live music not performed by locals with more earnest enthusiasm than talent, bless their tone-deaf little hearts
4. Inter-library loan
5. Autumn (well, a little late for that, but a girl can still dream)

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for the moment. I'll add to this list as I remember more. Now I'm off to meet R and go play with Ziggy! Have a good night!

Love,

K

4 comments:

  1. As it's almost Thanksgiving - a fact which seriously boggles my mind - may I take this opportunity to say how thankful I am for the pleasure of reading this blog? Because it warms my heart to know how much both of you girls are enjoying your lives. And the rest of us get to vicariously enjoy your adventures too. Katie, great photos! Rebecca, your turn now!
    Ellen
    aka Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6. Hugs
    7. Being home
    8. Not going to Austin
    9. Visiting my brother
    10. 3.14159265358979323846264338327

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now now, we've been over this time and time again... no matter HOW many times you remind me what comes after "...338," that's the furthest I've ever been able to memorize and I'll *never* remember anything after that. (Although that last "327" WOULD bring me up to an even 30 digits of pi. Hmmmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eventually you'll have to remember 327 as the numbers you can never remember, and then finally 9502 will be the ones that are just out of reach.

    ReplyDelete