Sunday, November 13, 2005

Listmania: aka Book orgy, and Movies I´m itching to see

Yesterday was heavenly... I finally have a place of my own, and though there are 5 of us living there at the moment, everyone was either out of town or out all day. So I did what I do best... grocery shop, cook, eat, and read. I haven't been reading that much since I've been here... I've been more in DVD mode. But yesterday I read enough books in one day to justify actually making a list. (scary?)
1) Finished rereading Harry Potter 6. I think I enjoyed rereading it more than any of the other HP books... no irritating plot holes, and lots of unresolved intrigue to ponder for future books. Counting the days til it comes out in Spanish!
2) The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing. It was on the bookshelf in the apartment, and I know there's a movie coming out soon. Definitely dug the book... it's a total chick book but not dumbed down. It's kind of what I wanted Bridget Jones' Diary to be. But I don't have high hopes for the movie... the strength is definitely the smart writing, and it's more a collection of vignettes, not really plot based.
3) The Kite Runner, which probably everyone in the world has already read but I have been avoiding since it seemed pretty heavy. But again, there it was on the bookshelf. I don't think there would be so much fuss about it if Afghanistan wasn't such a hot topic these days. I definitely appreciated that is a really beatiful account of the afghani experience that's unrelated to all the sensationalism after 9/11. But, man, do the Afghanis have a depressing history or what! Reminded me of Angela's Ashes, exept mostly without the humor.

More pop culture goodness:
Movies actually coming to quito in the next month or so!!
1) Harry Potter
2) The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Movies that are so not ever coming to Quito. Grrrr...
1) Serenity
2) Walk the Line
3) Brokeback Mountain

Bootlegs anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love being first! Rebecca, you go on with your bad self, you crazy reading fiend, you.

    Don't you love having the place to yourself? I had the place to myself all Saturday morning and afternoon, and I played DDR for five hours straight. My legs kind of gave out on me and I'm still sort of in pain, but it was totally awesome!

    good luck with the bootleg hunt. I'm afraid I'm completely useless to you in that regard. Probably in most regards, come to think of it. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a heavenly day. I too have just finished Kite Runner (I'm verrrry slow to get on the bandwagon) and liked it a lot - except for the implausible adventure-to-reclaim-the-orphan-boy. In fact, I was having a fantastically delicious all-you-can-eat Afghani food buffet at The Helmand in San francisco (my favorite restaurant in the world, as you know) and talking with Daoud, who manages the restaurant for the owner, who happens to be the brother of Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan. We were talking about the book and he said it's very accurate about Afghani culture and history but the orphan adventure "would only happen in a Rambo movie." How true.

    Enjoy, enjoy.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete