Monday, November 07, 2005

no snow, but lots of non-weather-related changes

So after a few days of absolutely nothing going on, my life is kicking into high gear. I didn't actually make it to Otavalo yesterday, since I should have known better that my friend Stephanie wouldn't make it up in time to meet me at 8. Which was probably for the best, since I was sicker than I thought. (Just a stupid cold... i havent had any digestive problems yet, as it were.) So after waiting for 45 min on a street corner I gave up, bought some Robitussin, and confined myself to bed for 24 hours. After rising from my sickbed this morning, I had kind of a rude awakening. My landlady, after telling me yesterday no problem I could stay another week while apartment searching, says, oh by the way these people are moving in so you need to move your stuff out and you can share this other tiny room with my niece. Great. So I hurridly packed up all my crap and rushed out to meet with my new boss.

That's right, I think a new job deserves a new paragraph... I offically have accomplished my long-awaited goal of being an english teacher in ecaudor! on friday i got the call that there´s a place for me at EIL (Experiemnt in International LIving), or "the experiment". The one and only place I applied. I got a short tour and intro today, and believe it or not I agreed to start my first class tomorrow at 7 am. That's right folks, whoever thought we'd see the day! (The schedule actually works out really well because I can fit it in before my volunteering at CENIT, so won´t have to change to the afternoon and work with new kids and volunteers. And the sun is shining brightly and dogs are barking up a storm around the neighborhood by 6 am, so the whole morning thing seems more natual here.) The class is 3 days a week on site at this company, teaching 4 of their employees. I just got the textbook an hour ago, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. My brain is still not functioning on higher levels very well. Then on Wednesday I'm going to start my second class, working with a 7 year old girl. There is nothing if not variety to the teaching here... should be anything if boring. Aside from the overwhelmingness of the actual teaching part of the teaching job, let´s focus on the exciting aspects:

1) I will make, after taxes, $6.50 an hour. Which, by Ecuadorian standards is about as good as it gets. To give you an idea of the value, here is what I could buy with an hours wage. 26 rides on the bus or 4 full course lunches at a restaurant.

2) It will probably work out after all to live with a couple of the other teachers there. Given my current living situation, I cannot move in fast enough. All the other teachers that I met seemed really nice, and apparently they all live in the area and hang out together.

So, good changes, but lots at once. And hopefully after jumping into the class tomorrow I will feel less overwhelmed. Heh.

Also, congrats to Katie for her internship!!! As evidenced by the above description of my life here after more than a month, you are already waaaay ahead of me on the planning process. Hopefully you will stay in austin long enough for me to come check it out :)

11 comments:

  1. Hooray for you! You rock. I should make you a bowling ball that says so. Oooh, if I'm still in Austin when you start going to food college (you just call it food school because it was founded by a food), we'll be just a short cheap Southwest flight away! (In keeping with the theme of this comment I should conclude with another erroneous Simpsons reference, but I'm too lazy. I should also post about the winter wonderland I'm currently living in, but I'm too lazy to do that, either. So I'll confine my life update to this paragraph. This paragraph I'm speaking now. [big pause] Period. Sweet, I did manage to conclude with another reference. Okay, I am SO shutting up now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG PAWS!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo many kudos to mi hija!!!
    (kudos are semi-extinct tasmanian flightless birds) Good things happen to good people, but we knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On order: one bowling ball and flight from austin. thanks ma'am :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I want to know how that First Day went. Did your students learn to speak English? (this of course is an obscure reference to your first day of preschool when you enthusiastically marched down the sidewalk saying, "I hope I learn to read today!") Tell us all...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, your mom posts cute stories about you on your blog!

    (Shutting up before my mom does the same.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. More cute stories from moms! More cute stories from moms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, such temptation! But with December 19 coming up soon, I had better think long & hard before writing a cute KT story. The other Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thought kudos were a half-candy, half-granola bar concoction (speaking of simpsons references: tomacco!) from the late 80s?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upon the occasion of my doing something marginally special, like graduating 6th grade or having a birthday or something, my best friend's mom gave me a card that concluded, "To you we give our kudos!" And because the place I most frequently ate Kudos bars was at their house, I thought for years that it was a cute reference to my accomplishment being deserving of candy bars. NO idea that it was an actual word.

    ReplyDelete