Saturday, November 05, 2005

Snow snow beautiful snow / Slip on a snowflake and down you go (that one's for you, Mom)

Juneau solar statistics: Current sunrise, 7:24 a.m. (half an hour before I go to work). Current sunset, 3:58 (half an hour before I leave work). And six more weeks to go before the shortest day of the year...

After weeks of creeping downward from the peaks, the snow finally made it all the way down the mountains. When I left the house this morning at 11, everything was furred in up to an inch of lovely white snow - which, thanks to our good friend Southeast Alaska precipitation, was icy and crusty enough to actually stick to everything, instead of plopping off by noon the way normal snow would. Covered in thin snow, the mountains are all different shades of black and white and grey, and look like somebody clicked them from "Color" to "Black & White."

I got the internship at the Austin Children's Museum, which means that I'll be doing educational workshops and scout sleepovers on Friday nights and Saturdays until June, and then after that I get to continue on with them, working at some of their 30 (?!) children's summer camps as an actual Paid Employee (please be suitably impressed). I'm pretty excited about that. However, now that I've managed to book up all my free time in Austin, I'd better find something to actually fill the remainder of my weeks there...

That's all the news from these shores! Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the snow poem, Katie! What a treat......... Yay for the Chidren's Museum, and I, too, am going to call you. Love, Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you, kt!

    You want it, you go get it. The track record's pretty good.

    Can you find a lamp with a little sun in it? I understand they make them so people don´t go nuts without sun.

    Oh, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete