Wednesday, January 25, 2006

And here we are

After one and a half days of driving in concentric circles Austin viewing apartments and/or scouting "For Rent" signs, R and I have slunk into the public library for respite and internet, in that order. We had one house-viewing date at noon, and another's coming up at 2:00. Anyhow, I figured I'd better sum up the rest of our trip in short order, before I forget everything we did and you all stop caring anyhow. It was lovely to revisit Ruth's little Louisville apartment, this time with the addition of Lauren and lots of great furniture... I took lots of pictures for Rebecca's benefit so we can all reminisce fondly about when we slept on the bare floor of her empty living room in June, and marvel at how far our little Ruth has come. We spent a much-needed extra day in Louisville on Saturday, and the four of us went to the park to play frisbee. [Editor's note: Against all odds, I seem to have made it through 4 years at PVPA and 4 more at Wesleyan without ever playing frisbee. Not even once. All my dirty hippie ancestors would be rolling in their graves, if I had any. Which I'm pretty sure I don't.] I was astonished to discover that frisbee is actually FUN (who knew?!). Then we went back and L&R directed the flawless production of an incredibly delicious Thai meal. We churned out veggie curry, cashew chicken, and cucumber salad in about an hour, gobbled it up with four of Ruth's friends who came over, and then the whole mess of us went contra dancing. [Editor's note: Against all odds, I seem to have made it through 20+ years in the Valley and greater Valley areas without ever contra dancing. Not even once. All my old-New England WASPy ancestors would be rolling in their graves, if I had any. Which I'm pretty sure I don't.]

Oh bah, almost out of time. Eventually I'll catch up to what's actually going on in our newly Texan lives. Just imagine us frantically apartment-hunting in one of America's most liveable cities during the worst housing market they've seen in years, and you'll be all set. In spite of moving stresses and general craziness, I'm a little in love with Austin, and have already forgotten the name of that white stuff that falls from the sky in January on all you Yankee suckers. (Please kindly allow me my gloating while it's still under 100 degrees... come May, I promise I'll never make fun of New England winters again.)

Okay, love to you all, and I'll write more soon...

2 comments:

  1. ummm by worst do you mean housing is scarce? get a place with an extra room, k? or a bed-sized storage closet, even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe you ventured to a contradance. you'll so one-up me when we get up the nerve to take to the frff dance tent!

    <3B

    ReplyDelete