Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hey, didn't I just take this trip?

Well, we've been on the road since Wednesday and have so far managed not to get teargassed. Yet. Actually I'd far rather encounter government protests at the risk of injury than pass safely by all the pro-troops bumper stickers we've managed to see thus far... and we're only in Kentucky. Plenty more patriotic excitement left to come, I'm sure, before this trip is over. My new year's resolution is to get involved with at least one anti-Bush organization in Austin when we arrive. So this trip has been very peculiarly deja-vu-ish so far, since all we've done is essentially retrace the path that Rebecca and I took in June. This time, instead of just lunch with my grandparents, we had time to actually stay over with them, which was wonderful... I definitely don't get to see them enough, so it was highly luxurious to get to sit around and be fed and play Rumi-O and drink late-night tea with my grandmother. We got a nice slow start the next day and arrived in Alexandria at 11pm - in spite of New York rush hour traffic, the lack of sweltering hea, coupled with the fact that it was dark so we didn't actually have to look at New Jersey as we drove through it, made the drive much pleasanter than the last time we did it. All we really got to see in Alexandria was Christina's huge posh apartment, but that was good enough for us. It was strange and great to see her outside of Alaska, and we played board games until 3:30 in the morning (she taught us Apples to Apples, which is definitely the best thing we've played since Sacred Harp Guess Who). Okay, I'm sitting at Ruth's and it's 7:54 and we're supposed to get on the road in 6 minutes, which clearly isn't going to happen, but I'd better pretend like it is. Camping in Arkansas tonight, and then Austin on Monday! (Note to self: Call Alexa to find out where she lives so you don't have to sleep on the street in a refrigerator box.) More soon...

2 comments:

  1. yay katie posting! I think I speak for Dan (I mean... all of us) when I say: more katie pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. think about it1/23/2006 12:32 PM

    you did NOT just make a nasty new jersey joke. i mean, clearly, you did, but it was very uncalled for. i will make some misguided and unfunny joke about new england (ha ha johnny damon anyone? syrup chuggers?) and you will feel remorse.
    also, we got a foot of snow today and as i shoveled out my car i kept thinking of you and richard. hmm. AND I APPLIED FOR A JOB IN AUSTIN!

    ReplyDelete