Saturday, March 18, 2006

The view from 24

Nothing like guests to inspire you to clean and furnish your living quarters. We're hosting a sushi party tomorrow night for 6-8 friends and (most of) the house has never looked better. Click here for 4 new photos of our little home. I know, you'd hardly recognize the place, right? It's starting to feel less and less like a storage unit that we snuck a stove and two couches into, and more and more like an actual place where people live. Once our kitchen table isn't covered in clothing/newspapers/books, and our beautiful secondhand bedframe is assembled (apparently it doubles as a canopy bedframe; I doubt we'll ever have occasion to actually use it as such, but damn, we'd feel like princesses if we did), I'll take some more pictures in a desperate attempt to impress you with our resourcefulness and interior decorating savoir-faire. I know it's no stunningly beautiful 3-bedroom Colonial home deep in the woods of Belchertown that we just purchased for our very own, but do keep in mind that we moved here in a Saturn and six weeks, twelve thrift stores, one dumpster, and approximately $200 later, we have a respectably furnished house. For two broke fledglings, we feel we ain't done half bad.

I had a lovely birthday that consisted of pajamas, housecleaning, and eating while reading my giant novel. Much like most all of my past birthdays (with the possible exception of housecleaning, says my mother). As many of my faithful readers know, my favorite day is one where I don't actually ever get dressed, so I'd say it was just about perfect in that respect. I did skip the big anti-war march and rally, about which I'm feeling mildly guilty, but I placed a new order for recycled checks printed with soy-based inks, which helped to alleviate the guilt somewhat.

Things are going pretty well here. I started my new morning office job on Tuesday, which has been fantastic so far. I'm still working at the preschool in the afternoons... both jobs are great, but I have to leave the house between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning, and don't return until 6:00 or 6:30 in the evening, with basically no time in between jobs to do anything but ride the bus from one to the other with maybe 20 minutes for lunch. It's a little grueling, but I can't say enough good about getting a weekly paycheck of more than $150. Really, you should all try it.

My voice is still sub-par after WMSHC last weekend, which as Rebecca said was thoroughly amazing in every way. Can't wait for McMahan in April, when I get to experience all the glories of convention WITHOUT getting up at 3:30 in the morning to drive to the airport!

Hope you're all well... we're off to the sushi restaurant to buy some foodstuffs as an excuse to pilfer 4 more pairs of chopsticks that we'll need for the party tomorrow. (Although, judging from the snores that have begun to eminate from the bedroom, this may be a solo venture...)

Love,

K

2 comments:

  1. happy sushi party! (Nice tablecloth...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" he said belatedly. Wow, the apartment looks great. The coffee table is beautiful. "LUCKY!" It's all cold here again. Come back, and bring more warmth with you! (I'd say it was Rebecca bringing Quitoan weather with her, but it wasn't warm the whole week she was here...)

    --M

    ReplyDelete