Saturday, May 20, 2006

I'm just a girl who cain't say no

Ah, I remember those glory days in Juneau when all I did was wake up, go to work, come home, read a book on the couch, eat dinner, and go to bed at 9:15. When it rains every day, the sun goes down at 4:00, and you have no friends, it's easy to never have anything better to do than finish your novel. How sweet it was. Now between Job One, Job Two, World Can't Wait, singing, visiting, hosting visitors, and attending evening events of the work-related and non-work-related varieties, free time seems to be something I no longer have even small amounts of, let alone vast quantities. Which brings me to yesterday, when my morning-job boss asked me if I might be interested in serving on the newly-forming Board of Directors for Community Shares of Texas, the United-Way-esque coalition of progressive nonprofits to which we belong. Clearly the fact that I don't know anything about Austin, just started working at NARAL, have never served on a Board of anything, don't know a damned thing about nonprofits, and have never exactly held a real job before in my life would make me the first choice in anyone's mind. Apparently the nominating committee asked her, she declined, and so she suggested me instead. As shocked and appalled as I was, and as much as I tried to convey to her that they really, REALLY wouldn't want me except as a last resort, I began to have the sinking feeling that I was actually sort of excited about the fact that she'd asked me in the first place, and that I might have to tell her that I was interested, in spite of all my misgivings. I think they've already found enough people to serve, so it probably won't even be an issue... but the fact that I might have a chance to serve on a Board of Directors kind of tickles and terrifies me all at once.

Speaking of World Can't Wait, if any of you ever have an extra few bucks lying around this summer, it would make my life if you sent it in to them. I've started putting my blood, sweat, and tears into this organization (insofar as a highly distractible and largely non-political girl like myself is able to), and I have a feeling it will only get worse this summer. There's going to be a huge nationwide event on October 5th - I'll spare you the details since I'm sure I'll be bringing it up a lot as the summer wanes on - and really, unless you love Monsieur Bush and his administration, what's the point of NOT donating? Exactly.

Richard and I watched the season finale of "Grey's Anatomy" last night and I cried like a baby. Stupid tv shows that make you care about their stupid characters.

I have a meeting in half an hour and then tonight I get to go to a fajita party at the home of one of my little 5-year-olds whose last day of preschool is next week. I love hanging out with my kiddies when their parents are the ones responsible for yelling at them when they do something bad.

Okay, away I go. Happy weekend!

K

4 comments:

  1. Dad just asked me if I watched grey's anatomy. I feel like that was really only a minor part of your latest blog entry.

    Do you want to join the board of hug something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally watched my very first episode of Grey's Anatomy (the next to last one), because my house guest had already sat thru 2 hours of the Last-Episodes-Forever-of-West-Wing with me and I felt I owed it to her to watch her shows too (also my first Desperate Housewives...and probably my last).

    The next day in my Spanish class a classmate got up to leave half an hour early and earnestly explained (en espanol) to the teacher that she had to get home in time for the last episode of Grey's Anatomy. The teacher appeared not to comprehend this choice. It was funny.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, if you REALLY want to serve on a board of directors... i know a great one for which you are extremely qualified....

    ReplyDelete
  4. as long as i dont have to take the minutes, i fully support anyone and everyone participating on a board of directors :)

    ReplyDelete