Monday, May 29, 2006

Losing the will to go on and getting it back (sort of)

So today I finally gave in to my gut instincts and began what will probably be a long and lusty tradition of bitching about the heat. I've been so good thus far... weeks and weeks of 90-95 degree highs and not so much as a peep out of me. I can adjust! I swear I can! I'll show all these Texans who look at me and shake their heads in smirking pity when they learn it's my first down-south summer that we Yanks are no wilting lilies! We're made of... okay, forget about it. I wilted, I so wilted. It's not even the end of May and Richard and I find ourselves spending 10-35 minute intervals sitting in our underwear on the living room couch, staring at nothing in particular in total silence, because the heat is almost tolerable if you don't move a muscle and no part of your body touches another part. Sweet Jesus, it is HOT. And we ain't seen nothing yet. After some brief ranting and raving I finally turned on the living room air conditioner for the first time... we've been sleeping with the a/c in the bedroom for a few days, but haven't been home enough to resort to the living room unit until Memorial Day rolled around to beat us into pulpy submission. Nothing to make you feel trapped like the knowledge that if you so much as open your blinds - and let's not even speak of moving the rolled-up towel away from the 2-inch gap under your front door - your house will instantly become 10 degrees hotter. It hurts, bad.

Just when I'd given up all hope, the temperature suddenly plunged, the sky clouded over, and it's been practically cool all evening. Like a goldfish with a 6-second memory, I once again like Austin.

For now...

7 comments:

  1. But is it a DRY heat? I understand that makes a big difference...

    ReplyDelete
  2. according to my mom anyway... hey mom. here's your chance to show your true texan blood and rant about the evils of humidity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, you nailed it exactly! Especially the sitting in your underwear and staring vacantly. Humidity like that ranks up there pretty close to nausea on the discomfort scale. Makes you long for the snowy winters of Massachusetts, doesn't it? Do you think the humidity is what is responsible for the high percentage of people without working brains, in Texas?

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The humidity is also reponsible for such things as the mold growing in our bathroom, underwear sticking to me in unfortunate places, and a constant sheen on my skin that renders showers virtually useless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it's NOT a dry heat. That is unfortunate.

    Don't lose faith in showers, R. Remember, even if one is shiny, one can always smell worse. Well, I suppose there is a point at which that is no longer true (as KW, our faithful library worker can attest), but you don't want to reach that point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i vote for barton springs! season PASS! cold and wet. (this weekend the kelseys and i went for a swim in the cold river out on rt.2. that's what it's called! hilarious.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost faith in showers long ago, my friend. Long ago....

    ReplyDelete