Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Popcorn, anyone?

Well my lack of posting since my return has been highly correlated to my lack of doing anything of interest... i've been half-heartedly pursuing the items on my to do list (Get: job, phone, car, um, life), eating large quantities of thanksgivingy food, steadfastedly ignoring the giant pile of my worldly possessions cluttering up my floor, and enjoying the odd outing (eg having a real chicago beer on tap in a real chicago pub, no more Pilsener for me!).

But never fear, I will soon be back to being a productive citizen, as I just got a job! Yes, starting tomorrow I will be serving up popcorn at Madly Pop'n, for $8 an hour. And proudly so. It sure as hell beats commuting to Oakbrook to work in an overpriced chain clothing store, which I was starting to resign myself to as the only employment possibility. While this job may not exactly take me to new heights in my career, at least MP is a local fixture, family owned, I can work regular hours (the day shift, while all their other employees are down the street attending high school...) and probably get lots of free popcorn!

PS - Correa wins!! I was afraid to call it when the papers first did, but now the official word is out! Correa is a bit of an unknown and had been spouting some extra leftist stuff like getting rid of Congress, but at least he's not a military guy (like lucio and all the other coup leaders turned victims), he was trained as an economist (at U of I!), and, most importantly, he's not an evil banana prince! So I'm feeling vaguely positive about ecuador's future (which, relative to my normal attitude, is like screaming it from the rooftops!) and I hope Rebecca and John and all my other favorite ecuadorian political experts will keep me updated on the latest.

5 comments:

  1. On a related note, the BBC has a good "Latin American Elections for dummies" interactive map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now when you mention "MP" no one will know if you're referring to friend or employer. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. he he,,, and there's always the good old standard Military Police, or the pinnacle of journalism, the Middletown Press

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...or afternoon for dyslexics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Jennie, my kind of perspective!

    ReplyDelete