Tuesday, December 19, 2006

And the countdown begins...

Do you recognize this scene? It's 10:00pm/11:00pm/midnight. In less than 12 hours Katie heads for the airport/has a 10-page paper due/is leaving the country. Katie has not started packing/studying/cleaning out her refrigerator. Instead, she is blogging/re-reading Midnight Hour Encores/playing Yahtzee/watching awful tv/lounging on Rebecca's bed. Really my life is one giant Mad Lib: fun at the time, but oh so lame in retrospect. (6-Months-From-Now-Katie: "WHY did I somehow think it was a good idea to stay up until 3am the night before I flew to Massachusetts? HOW did I somehow turn 45 minutes of packing into a 7-hour ordeal?")

So yes, in theory I'll be on the east coast in 18 hours, god willing and the creek don't rise. It had better snow while I'm up there, or at least be cold enough to freeze one's nose hairs so I can tell all my sweaty Texas friends about it when I get back.

And please indulge me in a moment of boasting about the most awesome present ever that Richard gave me last night: a beautiful 1930's Smith Corona in perfect working condition. Look at me, I'm Zelda Fitzgerald! What's more, apparently there's an appliance store specializing in old manual typewriters just a few blocks away, so when I inadvertantly break it for the first time (wait for it...) I can just walk it down to Mr. Wizard's Electronics.

Okay, I've finally got that mildly panicked nausea that usually leads to at least a limited burst of productivity. Happy travels to myself, and I'll see lots of you soon!

Love,

K

2 comments:

  1. be safe, say hi to new hyde park for me, and HURRY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're probably here by now! Awesome! Well, I have a 20-page paper due in 12 hours, so I better go check out some more blogs.

    See you soon!

    love,
    L

    ReplyDelete