Sunday, February 18, 2007

February check-in

Plenty to post, but little inclination to post it... just a brief howdy and a few points of interest so you don't forget about me:

1. A few weeks ago, my father emailed me a newspaper article entitled "Eagle Lugging a Deer Head Causes Outage", which opens with the stirring line, "About 10,000 Juneau residents briefly lost power after a bald eagle lugging a deer head crashed into transmission lines" and only gets better from there. It tells the noblest of stories, that of "the overly ambitious eagle who evidently found a deer head in the landfill." Disappointingly, the power was out for less than 45 minutes total - I was hoping for at least 24 hours - but it's still the best article anyone has emailed to me yet this year. I love Juneau.

2. Excitement abounds. My parents are in town until Thursday, and Rebecca's arriving Tuesday! Much to the consternation of both my bosses, I'm taking an ungodly amount of time off work this week, and I suspect next week will hold much of the same... especially since I won't have time to make up hours at NARAL the weekend after Rebecca leaves since Christina's coming to town for a Texas-rific 30-hour vacation! Holy out-of-town visitors, Batman! The following Thursday, I'm flying back east to attend B's uncle's memorial service. By a convenient quirk of fate, this will put me in Massachusetts for WMSHC weekend, with nothing to do but go and spend Saturday singing at the Center for the Arts! The week after that, SXSW attacks Austin, bringing concerts practically from dawn till dusk... and another houseguest (former boss and music-pal Jim). And two weeks after THAT I'll be back in Western Mass for the Annual Reproductive Rights Conference at Hampshire College. If I'm a particularly poor correspondant this spring, please forgive me...

3. R and I somehow became total Barack Obama suckers this month. We ordered ourselves an $11 Obama bumper sticker, and are excited silly about going to see him speak - for free! - this Friday.

Okay, everything else is too boring to write about. I'm outta here.

xo

Katie

3 comments:

  1. sorry, had to get that dan level of enthusiasm at seeing your post out of my system. Now I can comment like a normal human. I'm so excited to be your next highly anticipated visitor! and BA. He's coming here as well, but Lauren is particularly consternated that you have to pay $20 to see him. Just wait til she hears about that bumper sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that story about the power outage in Juneau and thought of you. I'm glad someone else had the presence of mind to actually send it to you!

    Looking forward to seeing you soon and getting to introduce you to our turtlegirl.

    ReplyDelete