Saturday, February 17, 2007

Southern hospitality

Well, I'm sure no one will be surprised that I was late packing up all my worldly belongings and didn't get out of Chicago until 5 pm on Friday... nothing like that chicago rush hour. boh. Fortunately it's a shrot drive to Louisville and L and R were quite understanding despite already being in bed when I arrived (damn eastern time!). Hopefully my presents were enticing enough to stay up for... Amongst them was a south indian vegetarian cookbook that i found in one of my book crates in the back of my closet... everything looked so delicious, but I had never used it and Lauren LIVED in south india for god's sake, and loves to cook indian food, so I think it's found a better home. In fact, we are off to the indian food market right now in order to cook up a big feast tonight! It will be a nice contrast to lunch, which was delicious southern comfort food at Lynn's - eggs over easy, cheese grits, biscuits with sorghum butter, and a side of herb braised lima beans. mmmmmmmmmmm Forunately we took an extended walk around the neighborhood, including the cemetery which katie and i had seen in the summer, and I now got to see blanketed in snow! (Yes, I brought winter south with me! I'm counting on Austin for some warm weather.)

6 comments:

  1. herb braised lima beans ?? !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes indeedy. we're currently digesting our indian feast - we made tomato rasam, mashed potato poriyal, okra curd salad, uppima, and milk payasam. the key to south indian cooking is tempering all the spices (fennigreek, asofeteida, curry leaves, etc) in oil first. yum. the highlights were the potatoes, and the payasam which was a rice pudding to die for - it started out with 12 cups of milk and cooked down to a thick pudding. wow i am full and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got lucky... after weeks of highs in the 50's and low 60's and lows in the 20's and 30's, it looks like we'll be getting some nice 77-degree raininess this week. Not the most attractive weather, but definitely warm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. geez, i would have taken highs in the 50s! 77 and rainy sound quite tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha, the blogger was logged into lauren's account! but that was meeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm a little late here but I wanted to leave you a comment too but couldn't think of anything to say about Obama because my brain has gone to sleep already (the rest of me to follow shortly I hope)... So all I can think of is how happy feasting on indian food made me today after M, turtlegirl and I were shopping in town. We ate tamarind sauce with our samosas and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete