Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The news makes my head hurt

Well I’ve been meaning to post some things about Peter for a few days, and now I feel awkward about it after the big shooting news. I mean, no one has a monopoly on death and loss, but it seems weird to ignore a big terribly immediate tragedy, and go on about your own personal issues. But I guess I don’t have anything in particular to say about what happened at Virginia Tech. Which is sad in and of itself. It’s just... an escalation in a long line of school shootings. With daily headlines about the casualties in Iraq and the genocide in Darfur, it’s hard to work up any real shock anymore. Though disgust, especially at the news coverage, is pretty easy. (No, CNN, I don’t want to click to “watch gunfire captured in student video.”) If anyone knows of any actually constructive measures being taken, please let me know.
(So, tomorrow, for Peter.)

UPDATE: Ok, so apparently I do have something to say.
1) Wow, I’m always amazed at how much the world revolves around the US. With all the goings on in Ecuador, the top 4 articles in my El Comercio email were regarding the shooting. Apparently 2 “latinoamericanos” were among the victims, and they also featured stories on the shooter and a heroic professor.

2) Is anyone else weirded out by headlines like “S.Korean student blamed for shooting rampage” – um, not that its irrelevent to mention his nationality in an article on his background, but in what way is it the most salient point??? It didn’t seem to factor into the crime, and I was more interested by the fact that he was a student, was a “loner” who had been referred for counseling, and left a note. All things featured in other headlines. So is this a way to distance us regular americans from the crime? Is this part of hyper-awareness to immigration issues? Am I just reading into it? Here’s an interesting article on the Asian community’s reaction.
(And now we go to Asian Reporter Tricia Takanawa Richard Lee...)

3 comments:

  1. Yes (in answer to your 2nd update point) that's pretty much exactly what I wondered.

    (I also find it very off-putting that the headlines keep referring to Virginia Tech. as VT. That makes my head hurt.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christian Science Moniter has another interesting article about the reaction to in South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I heard a similar report on npr. The thing that's still odd about this is how both the south koreans and americans refer to him as if he were a korean international student, and throw the counter example of an american student doing the same in korea. In fact he WAS an american student. His family had cut off all ties in korea and he grew up mostly in this country, a product of our culture. I'd really like to see Americans owning this kid in the same way as the koreans have. Where's OUR national sense of shame?

    ReplyDelete