Thursday, May 10, 2007

30 years?!

Okay okay, I know I've been tragically, perhaps even pathologically remiss in posting over the past few weeks. Fear not, I have a great big epic catch-up post planned... that I'll get to... someday...

But I feel compelled to interject for a moment with a comment on something in Rebecca's most recent post. Consider, if you will, the unobtrusive link to an article on Mormon food storage in a comparatively throwaway line in her description of Joe Citizen vs. the Evil Corporation propaganda. Now click on that link. Now gaze in wonderment upon this line:

Hathaway is a member of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a
requirement of her faith, she's been buying
and storing food supplies and other basic
necessities for more than 30 years.


How did I not know this about Mormons before????? (Jenna, I blame you.)

Okay, that's all. Tomorrow I get off work at 1:00 so I'm going to try to squeeze in some lengthy posting before I go buy cowboy boots for the fancy two-stepping night that Bill & Quincy bought us tickets to...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm so glad you noticed my food storage reference. I figured I'd leave it to Jenna :)

    I had never heard of it until recently - both master chef guru Kathy and one of my classmates are lapsed mormons, and they were like - oh, did your family do food storage too? I mean, it's great in terms of emergency preparedness, but I think it's funny how they downplay the millenial aspect of it. Oh we're just worried about earthquakes, not the end of days...

    (oh, by the way, they don't have supplies to last for 30 years, usually only enough for a year. those people have just been doing it since the 70s. But I saw one site that advocates saving enough to last for SEVEN YEARS.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and i meant to say - epic katie post epic katie post! And cowboy boots! Good thing you already have a boot jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! ohmigod when i was in provo there was this totally awesome store that sold food storage supplies, like big tupperware-type things for bulk grains, shelves for large quantities of cans, massive battery packs, etc. it was in the same shopping center as a deseret book, missionary supply store, and deseret industries thrift. also, a vaguely mexican eatery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mormons do as a matter of course keep at least a year's worth of food stored in their homes. I have Mormon friends living in Salt Lake City and I saw it in their basement. (And a lot of it was home-canned fruit and such, not all processed food.) Awesome. The Mormon church could be the blueprint for emergency preparedness and disaster recovery. Not only do they store food, they have a telephone tree organization in each ward so that if one person needs help, neighbors can immediately mobilize. These friends have a widowed neighbor whose large tree was hit by lightning and fell and damaged her roof. The same day, word got out and a bunch of her neighbors came over, removed the tree and started repair work on the garage - free of charge. Quite amazing, really. Maybe this means we should vote for Milt Romney for President. (Hmmm, not sure I want to go that far...)
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete