Friday, June 15, 2007

Visitors, and more Cash

To cap off a non-stop week. Sittin on the porch of an evening with my mom and Sue, polishing off my macrobiotic leftovers, and listening to Johnny Cash. Latest library acquisition, the second American recording Unchained. Knew my mom would appreciate it since it's the one with backup by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and assorted other guests. Sure enough she grabbed up the liner notes. JC liner notes are pretty much the best thing this side of his music, and it's generally hard to restrain myself from quoting them in their entirety. As KT can attest to. Err, she would if she weren't AWOL in Israel. But seriously, these open with The veggie burgers were really good at the sessions. I never did know where they were brought in from, but when they asked if I wanted one, I ordered two. It's no good to say "without pickles," because you are going to get pickles. Ever since Moses brought them out of Egypt, the world is infested with cucumbers. And end with original poetry. And with apologies to Reese and Joaquin, no Hollywood movie can hold a candle to the bit about June that comes somewhere in the middle.

But my mom picked out these lines in particular:
I love songs about horses, railroads, land, judgment day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.

Well. You heard the man.

Tomorrow brings: farmer's market featuring the first figs of the season, fig salad for lunch, hike from this book Richard gave me for Christmas, concert and fireworks at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment