Saturday, July 14, 2007

Oh, I Give Up (or, Israel Photos! Get Yer Israel Photos!)

Okay, go here for Israel photos. They're not in any sort of order and lots of them are nicked from other trip members and none of them have descriptions, but I suspect this is as good as it's ever going to get. I don't expect you'll want to look at all of them or even most of them, but there should be enough there that you can pick and choose an intriguing sampling to satisfy your voyeuristic needs. Meanwhile, I wash my hands of this whole affair.

I know I've not been pulling my blog weight of late... let's see, what have I done since last I posted?

1. Oh yeah, I went to Israel. It was amazing and mundane and troubling and fun and thought-provoking and moving and fascinating. It affected me profoundly in ways that I still don't quite understand and have trouble articulating. On the surface, it was a plain old good time. And also as annoying only as traveling on a tour bus with 40 twentysomethings for a full week can be. If you have any questions about the trip, ask away... I just have difficulty summing it up in a paragraph.

2. Read all of Sarah Waters' books in rapid succession. From favorite to least favorite: Fingersmith (SO good... every time you think you've got it figured out, a plot twist comes in out of nowhere and blows you away), Tipping the Velvet (a minor classic, just a darn good satisfying story), Affinity (one of those surprise endings that make you want to go back and read the whole book over, knowing what you do once you've finished it), and The Night Watch (well-written, but nowhere near the other three). Highly recommended. That's all I'll rave about that.

3. Went to Chicago for the 2nd annual conference of the SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective (alas, I spent most of my time in conference rooms in a hotel out by the airport, otherwise I would have given you a call, Ellen & Stu!). It was a pretty remarkable conference. I'm looking forward to returning to Chicago with Rebecca someday to make my long-anticipated trip to Village Discount, which I suspect will be remarkable in a different way.

4. Had a mini-Paris reunion with Sandy & Trini in New York before I flew to Israel.

5. Co-organized an impeachment forum last Saturday that was attended by over 250 people... our four prominent speakers (including two authors of books on the case for impeaching Bush & Cheney, an investigative reporter, and the only woman to ever lead the Black Panther Party) were not quite as successful a panel as we'd hoped (I didn't get to hear any of the talks or discussion because I was out in the hall taking care of logistics, but apparently there was much off-topic rambling and bickering to be heard) - however, it at least got people in Austin talking about the subject (even if it was just to complain about the Forum...), which is good enough for us. And all my vegan baked goods got bought at the Bake Sale For Justice. Sweet. You can check out www.AustinImpeach.org to see what our coalition is up to.

6. Threw Richard a 25th birthday party complete with cake, candles, ice cream, balloons, streamers, a "How Well Do You Know Richard?" party game, and presents. So it was three days late and I didn't manage to do anything for his actual birthday except treat him to "Ratatouille" and dinner at the Alamo... it's still good, it's still good...

7. Had my first acupuncture appointment. My chi feels better already.

8. Saw "Sicko." It was fantastic. I mean, terrible. I mean, heartbreaking in a humorous and well-filmed way.

9. Ate fried green tomatoes.

10. Went to a self-defense workshop this morning and then spent the entire afternoon on the computer, uploading Israel photos and writing this update. I think it's time to unplug myself from this machine for the rest of the weekend. I'll talk to you all next week.

Love,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment