Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life goes on in NYC...

I've recently been following No Impact Man, as he somehow mantains a sense of humor while...
For one year, my wife, my 2-year-old daughter, my dog and I, while living in the middle of New York City, are attempting to live without making any net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no carbon emissions, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no plastics, no air conditioning, no TV, no toilets…

Yesterday he posted:
A day in our life
One of the questions people ask me again and again is to describe a day in the No Impact life. I always think it’s a funny question, because I’m so used to it now and it seems so routine. All the same, I thought I might as well answer it:

1. If I get it together, I wake up before the girls when my wind-up alarm clock goes off (no electricity)...


And KT recently reminded me of the hilarity that is
Overheard in New York (Warning: It's the streets of NYC, people. So, yeah, not at all family friendly, and the humor tends toward so-offensive-it-had-to-be-shared. But the best part is the anonymous demographic labeling.)

And eating local, NYC style. (more on the vogue of eating locally this season, when I'm not posting from work.)
Me again: Just had to come back and add a quote from this article, worthy itself of inclusion on overheard in:
Ian went on, “We try to run the farm organically. Our compost is composed almost entirely of manure from the Bronx Zoo. We use the manure of herbivores, like zebras and elephants.”

I looked at him for a moment, wondering if this was an urban-farm poker-faced joke, but he assured me that it wasn’t. I asked if we could taste the elephant manure residually in the food.

“Yes, you can,” he said. “I mean, we have a dark chlorophyll flavor in all of our vegetables, and I really think that you can taste the concentration of nitrogen. It’s a New York taste."

1 comment:

  1. random comment... is this the first year 9/11 has fallen on a tuesday again? It takes me back to when it was still being called "Tuesday's events" and then "the events of last Tuesday"...

    ReplyDelete