Friday, November 30, 2007

5 things about the holidays

1. We left bright and early for the airport on Black Friday. My dad put on the AM traffic report. Which usually involves a harried play by play of expressway jams, accidents etc. This morning it consisted of: "Well, it looks like all the roads are clear. Most of the cars are filling the mall parking lots." And then proceeded to check in with ON THE SCENE REPORTERS at various malls to report on how much parking was available. My mouth sort of hung open for awhile. I ended up with plenty of time to reacquaint myself with O'Hare.

2. Brussel Sprouts are the new mashed potatoes. For Thanksgiving I roasted some with shallots and, vaguely inspired by Mollie Katzen, threw in some mustard and maple syrup for good measure. I wasn't super happy with them, as I like my sprouts unadorned and caramelized to the point of falling apart, and these were tender and tasted like something more than eau de brussel sprout. So I was as surprised as anyone when I started hearing a chorus of "who made those brussel sprouts???" Closely followed by "Where did you get them so tiny???" With a few "I don't even like brussel sprouts and these are great!" So I preserved my cooking reputation and promoted the farmers market all over the place. And word is getting out... It's the hot new holiday dish. Just ask Richard, who cooked his own Thanksgiving sprouts.

3. Too bad I didn't wait a month and save $750 before seeing the Second City show Between Barack and a Hard Place. Now I'll never see the man star in the show himself!

4. Hanukkah is FAST approaching and I found myself menorahless and menorah-owning-family-member-or-roomate-less! I decided not to repeat questionable homemade experiments of years past and turned to ebay. And immediately found the same menorah that I took off to college and promptly lost in a move! It's now gracing my kitchen table, courtesy of a lovely seller who informed me his wife's name is also "rivka". I'm strongly pondering a latke party, even if it's just for myself. I have all kinds of colorful latke recipes involving parsnips, beets, and spinach, oh my.

5. Tomorrow is... Demember! I'm going to celebrate by posting my own book awards over the next few days. I know you can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Now I see... I'm still not acculturated enough (but I'm working on it, and will be) and it didn't occur to me you were going home for Thanksgiving; I thought you were leaving CA for good.

    ReplyDelete