Sunday, November 04, 2007

What did YOU do with your free DST hour?

When midnight rolled around I put on the next episode in my OC marathon. Totally guilt free. Now, If only I could get back that hour of WMSHC that I missed when my alarm clock didn't spring forward as scheduled.

Also, for the record, my healthy halloween treats were quite popular with the few trick or treaters we got. Take that, you hecklers! Colin had bought some more traditional candy, and I didn't want to rain on his parade, so I ended up offering both bowls. Halloween Death Match: Candy vs. Health Food. I was as surprised as anyone that we came out even, with most kids happy to take one of each. And for every kid that only took candy, I got just as many who enthusiastically took only my stuff! And I don't think anyone would have complained if I hadn't had the candy at all. The very first visitors were sisters from a mexican family who asked after my "feliz dia del escudo nacional" sign, and said "What if we don't want any of THAT?" turning up their nose at the candy. It warms my heart!

For posterity. The contents of my magical Halloween basket, all meticulously screened to meet the following critera:
1) Relatively non-hazardous to one's health.
2) Something I would have eaten/enjoyed as a child, and I think my parents can vouch that I was a picky picky eater with a junk food fetish.
3) Individually packaged. Parents still buy into that poisoned Halloween candy urban legend right?
4) Less than 40 cents per.

The winners:
Trader Joe's organic fruit leather
Trader Joe's granola bars (peanut butter or cranberry/chocolate chip/nut)
Vitamic C gummies
SunRidge Farm's chocolate honey mints from the bulk bin
Stickers - pumpkins, spiders, and pirate flags

Runners up: (they met the criteria but I cut myself off before I bought out the whole store)
Cliff zbars
Apple blueberry sauce cups
Ginger tea bags (For when the indigestion kicks in. I had some myself after binging on the leftovers.)

2 comments:

  1. Regarding the poisoned candy bar urban legend, the Boston newscasts on November 1st this year were full of reports on how at least 3 kids in a Boston area town (I forget which) had found shards of metal someone had thoughtfully pushed through the wrappers of their candy before giving it out. Sad but true.

    Of course, individual packaging didn't help, but careful examination of said packaging might have caught it. As it presumably did for the 2nd and 3rd pieces found, after the first was reported.

    (Ok, I can't stand to just add to the tainted candy urban legend, even with a true instance. So I looked it up: the town was Leicester, and Channel 5's web version of the story is at http://www.thebostonchannel.com/
    news/14481343/detail.html while it lasts.)

    --M

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, the one loser every year who has to spoil it for everyone else. interesting how it never seems to be anyone bothering to make their own homemade treats...

    and of course the very comforting answer to this and every other concern is: "you're more likely to get hit by a car."

    Or as The Washington Post reflected with some irony, "Inspect the candy, yet let the child run into the street."

    More than 3,000 children are killed each year crossing the streets, many on Halloween. And as real risks go, "Halloween sadism" ranks low, said Joel Best, a sociology professor at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. He has researched 78 reported incidents of treat-tampering since 1958. Most incidents are exposed as hoaxes usually rigged by youngsters, or, in a few tragic cases, assaults by family members, such as the Texas father who poisoned his son's candy with cyanide in 1974.

    Mr. Best said that in 25 years he had found no documented fatality from poisoned Halloween candy, and even reports of injuries were virtually impossible to verify.

    from the IHT

    ReplyDelete