Monday, February 25, 2008

but labor is sweet

Despite barely waking up in time for my 1:30 job interview, this has not been a totally unproductive day.

After a few chilly days it was gorgeously sunny again, so I pulled out my brand new Walk Oakland! map and found a park nearby. Wow, something in my neighborhood besides churches and corner stores! I walked over, passing some lovely old victorians in what is apparently a historic neighborhood. Found a bench not being slept on, watched a little futbol, and read a few more chapters in Bound For Glory.

Good energy at the singing tonight, or maybe it was just me being excited at finally singing some tenor. There's generally a distinct lack of altos and a distinct abundance of tenors, but thanks to a visit from Jessica, who as we all know is an alto part unto herself, I got to indulge my recent itching to learn tenor. Looking forward to singing with J next at WMSHC!

Oh, and I got a job. Look at me not being a deadbeat anymore. Well, that's kind of a lie, because the background check will take a week, and I ever so conveniently have a vacation scheduled for the next week. But in two weeks I'll be all job having again! At a great after-school program at a local middle school. I'll be doing some academic mentoring and maybe teaching some cooking classes! It's regular work (afternoons, 20 hrs a week) and good pay, very close to home, interesting school. REALLY looking forward to working with kids again. Also I have my resume out all over town (the library, myriad bookstores, select other retail establishments) so someday I hope to have a second job for fun and profit. And once I'm back on some kind of regular schedule, maybe I can use my free time in a vaguely productive manner? Such as advancing my jam industry? We shall see.

Random file food photo for Jenna :) Actually, it's even casserole related. Nancy's recipe for squash stuffed shells circa 2004.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations, and i'm impossibly excited that i'll get to see you soooooo soooooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy's stuffed shells, as prepared by Rebecca--brings back such great memories of those trips to the Middletown sing and hanging out ridiculously late at your place afterwards. Those were definitely the times.

    See you soon, yay!

    --M

    ReplyDelete