Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday night check-in

Ah, Fridays. Harkening back to the ol' college days, when Rebecca and I could generally be found of a Friday evening peacefully doing our laundry, I just spent the past three hours taking a not-entirely-unintentional nap, and am preparing to follow it up with something really amazingly exciting, like maybe loading the dishwasher. What better way to ring in a weekend with absolutely nothing scheduled in it, for the first time in at least a month? All these weddings and karate promotions and conventions and birthday parties and conferences were really cutting into my precious lack of social life. I am in fact skipping an AIDS advocacy training tomorrow that I was planning on going to (because who has the patience or the gas money to make a one-day roundtrip to Dallas?), and I do actually think we have a birthday party to go to tomorrow night, but aside from those slight blemishes the coast is clear.

Thanks for all the sweet notes about my grandfather. He lived long and richly for well over 90 years, and was still enjoying homemade cookies when R&I went to visit in early March, which is all anyone can really ask for. I led 285t for him at McMahan, which seemed like the right thing to do.

The conference in Massachusetts last weekend was great (although I would like to lodge a formal complaint about it always happening just long enough after WMSHC that I have to take two roundtrip flights to Bradley in less than a month if I want to attend both)... lots of energy and meeting people and hearing about the great work that's being done all over the country. I'm always bemused by the complaint that young people today aren't as active as they used to be... in my line of work, it seems like you can't turn your head any which way without spotting a crowd of passionate under-30s who are doing incredible social justice service and advocacy work on the ground across the U.S. I always come away from these conferences feeling like I do absolutely nothing with my life. (For examples, please refer to "AIDS advocacy training, skipping," or "plans this weekend, none," first paragraph.) In my ever so slight defense, I WAS in charge of the silent auction at a fundraising event last night for a local abortion assistance fund. It was a really nice event... as Graham said (ha, I'm so blogging his line before he gets a chance to), those abortionists sure know how to party! (Don't worry, Graham, that just means that all the crazies who sit around and Google "abortionists" will just be sent to our blog, not yours. Think of it as taking one for the team. Sorry, Rebecca.)

Also, in the world of culinary discoveries that nobody reading this really cares about, I finally figured out why my spelt bread has been so flat and ugly for the past month! [For those of you who somehow have missed out on really couldn't care less about the nuances of my regular food barter, I trade a loaf of bread for a dozen eggs every week, and my egg provider recently went wheat-free but still eats spelt.] Sadly, I can't take any credit since it was a pure and utter accident - as most great culinary discoveries are, right? - caused by the fact that the store was out of Rapid Rise yeast so I bought regular dry active yeast instead. Who knew the Rapid Rise was the cause of all my sorrows? It works so well with wheat bread! Even Rose Levy Beranbaum recommends it... and Rose Levy Beranbaum wouldn't lie. But for some reason, it makes the spelt dough rise too fast or something so it doesn't develop properly and then sinks when it bakes... clearly the actual mechanics of the thing are a little beyond my comprehension (and then the little wizard in the middle of the bread takes out his wand and deflates the dough...) but suffice it to say that my latest loaf was the first non-embarrassing one I've traded for eggs in at least six weeks.

Also related to bread, the fact that I have at least seven failed loaves in the freezer means this probably won't be the year I start getting rid of chametz for Passover. But I am excited about the seder that we're hosting next Saturday. Briefly inspired by Jenna, I was thinking about piecing together my own haggadah, but I think that's just too much for me this year, so I may just buy a few copies of the Leonard Baskin haggadah that Half Price Books has a stack of. Since we're the youngest of our crew, Richard will get to ask the Four Questions. Poor goy doesn't realize what a coveted role that is. I'm totally jealous.

Okay, I'm off to load the dishwasher. Happy weekend!

Love,

K

1 comment:

  1. AHH... must add my own blog to google reader so that I don't miss every post katie ever makes.

    I think we'll be doing our own Seder here on east 23rd... Steve and Inder are good gentiles always up for a feast. And my free Maxwell House hagaddahs will do just fine, thanks.

    ReplyDelete