Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Turn the page

It's Canada Day. Half of 2008 gone. I made two resolutions this year. 1) Watch more TV. 2) Read more books.

#1 is pretty much a wash, unless you count the normal background noise of sitcom reruns and Animal Cops permeating the house. I've turned on the set myself on exactly 2 occasions and soldiered through for an hour or so, but somehow I've lost touch with my inner TV junkie. Too. Many. Channels. Having cable is hard work. And other than working my way through most of The OC season 4, I haven't caught up on DVDs either. The Office? Battlestar Gallactica? 2009 it is.

#2 is looking brighter. I've finally followed in the illustrious footsteps of KT and Art Garfunkel and started keeping a book list. And since Inder introduced me to it, I've been very conscientious about reviewing everything on goodreads.



Yeah. See above for those who have enabled my compulsion.

The point being, for once I have a pretty good basis for reflection on my reading and the ability to whip up a linktastic post for you! Rejoice.

Sooo, I've read 30 books thus far. This is not enough. I aim for 75 by year's end. (Well, at least I've got my New Year's Eve plans all set...)

The current contender for Best of 2008? Hands down, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.
And my other 5 star reads:
Bound For Glory by Woody Guthrie
Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis

6 comments:

  1. My mom started keeping a list too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you put me to shame! By my calculations I read (not counting pretty picture books and cookbooks) about 35 books last year, and I'm on about 13 for this year. Of course, I tackled a couple of bigger ones this year ...

    Obviously, I need to watch less Animal Cops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, and here I thought I couldn't keep up with your reading! Must be all those pretty picture books and cookbooks...

    And Animal Cops hasn't let you down... you're still beating me on the other resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm winning! My book list informs me that last year my total was 64... this year I'm at 50 so far. Wow. Nothing screams NO SOCIAL LIFE like an average of 2 books per week. (I can't even claim multitasking because I don't listen to audiobooks!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50??? Please tell me that involves a high YA percentage. Though mine is nothing to sneeze at... 14/30.

    Also, I want to see your mom's list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 45 books so far, not counting picture books for grownups, and I don't do audiobooks.
    Suddenly, I feel better about my excessive tv watching.

    ReplyDelete