Monday, November 24, 2008

Grumpy :: Happy

So as you may have noticed, it's been a ridiculously long time since my last post of substance. And since we spent maybe 48 hours total actually preparing for the wedding (not to be confused with thinking about preparing for it, or putting off preparing for it, or experiencing the nagging sensation that maybe we should be doing more preparing for it, or making Rebecca prepare for it), I can't even claim that as an excuse. Since I haven't done anything particularly interesting in the past few weeks, I'll share with you a few lists that have been bumping around my head: Things That Are Making Me Grumpy These Days and Things That Are Making Me Happy These Days. Let's get the icky stuff out of the way first.

Things That Are Making Me Grumpy These Days:

1) The title of the cover article in this month's Advocate. "Gay Is the New Black" is apparently about the much-hyped-of-late "black-gay divide" in California's Prop. 8 win. Because all gays are white, and all black people are straight. (For a classic example of this jackassery, see Dan Savage's article; this link sends you via Racialicious so at least it comes served up with a little intelligent commentary.) In the Advocate's defense, I haven't actually read the full article yet. In my defense, the Advocate has never yet been known to provide a nuanced, complex analysis of any issue involving race, so I'm not sure why they would start now.
2) The statewide coalition project I'm spearheading at work that's slowly eating my life. It's good, and necessary, and exciting, but it also makes me break out in a cold sweat at 1:30 in the morning. I'm appreciating Bernice Reagon's statement on coalition-building: "I feel as if I'm gonna keel over any minute and die. That is often what it feels like if you're really doing coalition work. Most of the time you feel threatened to the core and if you don't, you're not really doing no coalescing."
3) Accidentally continuing to pay for a month and a half of individual health insurance after my employee health insurance kicked in. (But oh man, if anything had happened to me during those six weeks I would have been SO COVERED.)
4) The stupid book I'm reading. I've slogged my way almost to the middle and I'm too stubborn to just stop and return it to the library in spite of its dreadfulness. It's a fluffy historical fantasy that I picked up in the hopes that, based on another book that this writer co-authored, it would have an enjoyable gay protagonist. I would even have settled for throwaway gay subplot. So far, nothing but insufferable heterosexuals as far as the eye can see. And worse yet, it takes place in 18TH-CENTURY FRANCE, my most hated combination of century and geolocation in the history of the modern world.

Things That Are Making Me Happy These Days:

1) Overnight applesauce made in the tiny slow cooker. Chop up a few Granny Smiths before you go to bed, put them in the cooker with some water, cinnamon, and sweetener, and behold! Hot tasty applesauce for your breakfast. Oh how it makes me happy.
2) Bessie Smith. I got myself a 2-CD retrospective of her work at Half Price Books, and have been loving up a storm for Bessie since I first cracked it open. World's most awesome 1920s corn-liquor-drinking, unfaithful-husband-shooting, chorus-girl-bedding, white-society-rejecting, self-made blues singer? You decide!
3) Cold weather! Admittedly, lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s hardly qualify as such. But thanks to the magic of Texas-style insulation, our house has spent a lot of time sitting at a pretty consistent 58-61 degrees. Which makes me feel like it's 17 degrees outside, even when it's actually warmer than our living room...
4) My leftover pedicure. As you may recall, Rebecca and I got ourselves painted (at Austin's only formaldehyde-free nail salon!) just for kicks the day before the wedding. And while I'm pretty sure I'll never get another pedicure again as long as I live, I keep being tickled when I look down and see my pinkish-gold toes. Welcome back to 9th grade. Except back then they were probably alternating green, blue, and purple.

And there you have it. I wanted to make each list a nice round 5 but apparently I just don't have that many things in my life that make me either grumpy or happy. Which is kind of good and pitiful all at the same time.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Porcelain Dove! Pedicures! (For the record, I was NOT painted... I got the "sports mani" where they just buffed me up. So, sadly, I have no lingering effects. And don't swear off nail treatments so hastily... the next time one of us gets married, we'll have to do it again.)

    Also, the cold weather is also making me excited, only because of the impending arrival of a fabulous early Hanukkah present in the form of DOWN! I may have spent way too much time at work today googling "duvet cover." (Thanks Mom!)

    ReplyDelete