Monday, May 04, 2009

Let me help you while away the time until Inder and Steve have their baby

So I was all set to work up to a big post about pancakes. (Sadly, I'm not joking.) Then I saw that Inder's in labor and Rebecca's about to be housemates with an infant! Since there's practically nothing I could possibly write about that would rival the excitement of, oh, you know, the miracle of creation, I figured I should just ride it out and not say anything until after all the baby updates.

But then I thought - what BETTER post to get lost forever in a flurry of baby stories than a completely unnecessary and pointless discourse on pancakes???????

So please allow me to expound upon the beauties of my second-favorite 10-minute meal (in first place, we have popping a giant pot of popcorn, covering it with salt and nutritional yeast, and then eating the entire thing without offering any to Richard unless he asks nicely). Seriously, I've started to develop a pretty unhealthy codependence on pancakes. They're fast, easy, and there's just no way not to make them delicious. And believe me, I try. I've never met a recipe that I didn't attempt to make at least one completely disastrous healthy substitution in. But after countless months of tweaking the basic Joy of Cooking pancake recipe, I think I've finally settled on my ideal proportions. I generally try to avoid wheat flour (I'm not allergic but I don't think I do very well with it), and ditto for non-cultured dairy (though if I'm out of rice milk I have been known to turn in my hour of need to R's ever-present half gallon of whole milk in the fridge... so sinfully tasty...).

I now present to you (assuming you've read this far, which is not an assumption I'm necessarily making) Katie's Pancakes That You Can Eat Until You Feel Sick And You Don't Have To Feel Too Guilty About It (easily made vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, blah blah blah...):

1/2 cup each of brown rice, oat, and barley flours (this is my favorite combo, though you can substitute in any combination of the following: millet/quinoa flour (just put your millet/quinoa in the blender or spice grinder!), cornmeal, whole wheat/spelt, etc... all you need is 1 1/2 cups total. I like to use at least 3 kinds of flour so it doesn't taste overwhelmingly like one or the other)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups rice milk (or regular milk, or Richard's whole milk from the fridge cut with some water, or whatever kind of milk you like)
1-2 eggs and/or 2-3 TBS ground flaxseed (flaxseed gets glutinous and acts as a binding agent when wet, but you can use it even if you use eggs for some extra omega-3's if you want to be one of those insufferable extra-smug people who's always adding powdered hippie things to their otherwise perfectly serviceable food just to make other people feel bad about themselves)
2-3 TBS grapeseed oil, or any kind of oil really
vanilla extract if they're going to be eaten with sweet things

Mix all ingredients. If you want to be a conscientious cook or you really like washing bowls, mix wet and dry ingredients separately and then combine. If not, mix your wet ingredients in a medium-big bowl and then add dry ones. Mix just until everything is combined, then let sit for 10 minutes or so to let everything blend. Heat and butter your pan, and have at it. Eat covered in Rebecca's jam or North Hadley maple syrup that was a wedding present from your 6th grade teacher. Or wrapped around any kind of savory food that offers at least a couple of nutritional benefits so you can feel like you've had a proper meal. Last night I caused all of Richard's relatives, living and dead, to roll in their current or future graves by wrapping my pancakes around a mixture of cooked mung/adzuki beans and gochujang. Mmmm, delicious appropriation...

And finally, lest you think I spend ALL my time eating pancakes (I would if I could), here's proof that I do make it out of the house sometimes in the form of a recent shot of me & R all gussied up and out on the town at a fundraiser. (I'm smiling funny because my mouth is full of food. And check out that death grip I have on my wine!) Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled birthing updates.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, please for the love of god help me while away the time. The only update here is that I'm home from work and (following Katie's theme) mindlessly chomping on cereal while watching the dogs romp.

    Also, I seem to recall that your pancakes were fantastic, so yay!

    ReplyDelete