Monday, November 30, 2009

and bear our harvest home

Yikes, I better post while it's still November! Hope everyone has been having a marvelous season of plenty.

1) Overheard in the lunchroom today.
Teacher 1: What are you eating?
Teacher 2: Turkey with cranberry sauce.
Teacher 1: You always have the most exotic meals!

(I have never wished more to be an edgy cartoonist so I could illustrate this little scene to its full culturally subversive potential.)

2) I turned my cell phone off for my flight to Chicago... and it never turned on again. *mourns* Actually, it's quite liberating. Yet, there's that whole thing where I'm paying for the service. Also, it's my mp3 player. Also, I dropped my camera the week before so I suddenly have no functioning picture taking devices. I suppose I should look into repairing the damn thing...

3) Sure, I ate my way through my home town and had some quality family time, but the absolute highlight of my trip?

Miniature Rooms: The Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago Miniature Rooms: The Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago by Fannia Weingartner


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Yes, I read the whole thing. Yes, I took the book to the museum. Yes, I gave my dad a guided tour of all 68 rooms whether he wanted one or not. Yes, I am a huge nerd.


Coming soon: JR's adventures in crawling! More Thorne Room action! (cue: crickets) Localfooding. Nostalgia for many things but mostly analog media. And the first in a recurring segment: From the Labon files, in which I am my own grandpa.

3 comments:

  1. 1. i realized saturday that the text from which this title comes is one of the most theologically-comfortable texts in the sh for me lately. plus i like it a lot.

    2. all of a sudden i want to go to chicago and see those rooms, 2 things i have never actively wanted to do before. they should pay you!

    3. i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come your posts are always better than mine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.Yeah, harpeth valley for the win! I'm such a fan of random major fugues lately. I can't really speak to the theology, but intense harvest imagery is always fine by me. (Though a certain housemate may have snickered quite a bit at all the laboring and thrusting and so on...)

    2. Yes, they SHOULD pay me, although really Katie is vastly more qualified than I for such a job. But I will throw in a tour for free if we ever find ourselves in Chicago simultaneously :)

    3. Likewise! Still hoping to make it for Georgia State maybe?

    ReplyDelete