Friday, April 23, 2010

He keeps a book of photographs / Of his younger self, clairvoyant self

This has been a ridiculous whirlwind of a month. I think I have germinating cucumbers somewhere in our garden but since I haven't been there in almost two weeks, I couldn't tell you for certain.

We hosted seder for 12 this year, and after two solid days of cooking and cleaning beforehand I never wanted to cook or clean again, which has worked out beautifully as I've spent so little time at home since then that I don't even mind that every surface is covered with my dirty, crusty dishes. I just open a window, eat something sad and pathetic that requires no preparation (stealing bowlfuls of the sugared cereals that R always buys for himself is a particular favorite), go to bed, wake up too soon, and disappear again for 11-15 hours. Lots of it has been work-related and is vastly too boring to get into (although we did manage to pass a local ordinance, which is literally the first proactive piece of policy we've successfully passed (ah, Texas...) since I got this job four years ago, hooray!), but a few other highlights have been: J&J having a baby! Strawberry picking! Going to see "In the Heights" (oh man, SO good)! Okay, that's pretty much it. Then there was lots of karate, going to San Antonio for work, planning meetings, events, and book reading late at night when I should really, really have been asleep. Right now I'm pretty much functioning solely off the anticipatory adrenaline of going to see Owen Pallett next Friday, which R&I are as giddy as schoolgirls about. I'm hoping it'll cure the embarrassingly obsessive-compulsive Owen Pallett kick I've been on lately. In the meantime I've been contenting myself with listening to him on YouTube all afternoon. Shh, I'm a responsible nonprofit employee, I swear.

Oh and speaking of book reading too late at night, I once again bring you (drumroll)... the only reason I ever update my Goodreads account with any regularity (more drumroll)... my 2009 book list cover montage! Please accept this humble widget in anticipation of what will surely be my imminent re-disappearance from the blog, since as soon as April ends, TRAVEL SEASON begins! El Paso, Washington DC, Seattle, Minnesota, Ecuador, and Alabama - and that's all before September. Oy. I miss you all already.

KT's 2009 List



The Inheritance of Loss

Parable of the Sower

The Love Wife

Mothers

Woodcuts of Women: Stories

Dancing on Tisha B'av

The Name of the Rose: Including Postscript

Plain Brown Wrapper: An Alex Powell Novel

Happy Birthday or Whatever: Track Suits, Kim Chee, and Other Family Disasters

The Book of Salt

Affinity

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

Touchy Subjects: Stories

Night Letters: A Novel

Irreversible Decline of Eddie Socket

Changing Pitches

What Comes Naturally

The Persian Pickle Club

A Dooryard Full of Flowers and Other Short Pieces

Katherine



Katie's favorite books »


6 comments:

  1. I would be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for the song that inspired this post's title (okay, you don't HAVE to click on it, but how can you not want to?????) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5jwfGSz0U&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you got your book cover montage in before me!!!! Curses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, The Blood of Flowers author, Anita Amirrezvani, worked with my friend Sue Gilmore (you met her in Austin last Sept at the Twisted Spoke, or whatever it was called) at the Contra Costa Times newspaper for several years, telling none of her coworkers she was writing a novel til it had been published! Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, Katie. If nonprofits actually wanted their workers to be productive, they'd be for-profits.

    ReplyDelete