Thursday, May 13, 2010

BTWD!



Yay, it's Bike to Work Day! And I biked to work! Sort of. See, having meant to participate for years I was so looking forward to today. I set the 2nd grade propaganda machine on it and everything.




On the homefront, I finally got around to fixing my flat tire! (It only took 2 days, a new pump, and a lot of swearing.) I looked up an "energizer station" on my route where I could get a snack and free stuff. I made extra sure not to oversleep.

Then... things didn't exactly go as planned. After I set off this morning the chain kept slipping and I realized the back wheel wasn't as straight as it used to. Damn, I knew I should have asked Steve to put the final touches on tightening up those bolts! Nothing that a wrench and a little time couldn't fix, but I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that I don't exactly have a large margin to get to work on time. Just then... a bus pulled up! The exact spot in which I was forlornly staring at my greasy hands, contemplating my failure as a bike commuter, was a bus stop! It was clearly a sign that I was meant to get over my silly fear of taking my bike on the bus. And... it was just as embarrassing as I thought it would be. I couldn't figure out how to use the rack and the driver had to get out and help. And then I had to watch more successful riders get "energized" from the bus window. But at least I had my very own bicycle breakthrough, and I got to school on time. (Yes, in my world "within two minutes of when my physical presence is required in a classroom and without important boss people noticing" does translate to "on time.")

Here's where I top up in the morning.


Here's my parking spot.


Also in the plus column, I took full advantage of the all day service center set up right by City Hall. The nice people from Bay Area Bikes fixed me right up! It was so lovely to finally be one of those people who can at least explain the problem to their mechanic. And my ride home was like butter!

I'll try not to screw things up before Bike to Market Day!

4 comments:

  1. For someone as enthusiastic about biking as you are, you really could get a lot of mileage investing in a bike that isn't terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lugged steel...sexy. Don't listen to Dan.

    --M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also: fenders! Yay! I wish my RB-1 had fenders. And a set of gears with enough mechanical advantage to get my out-of-shape self up some of the punishing-by-New-England-standards-but-would-make-San-Francisco-people-giggle-uncontrollably hills around here. Oh, and maybe a saddle that's been introduced to the idea of padding.

    --M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, I never listen to Dan. But for the record, my bike isn't terrible! It's classic! Designed for short-distance commuting! And, as Matt observes, sexy.

    ReplyDelete