Monday, June 28, 2010

worldcat to the rescue

I may not be working, but I'm under a very important self-imposed deadline to post my 2009 book roundup and finish a few more books before my midterm book review comes due in a few days. Of course none of those things wanted to happen tonight. This post wanted to happen instead.

Since I quit stockpiling used books I've been reading more and actually keeping up with some contemporary titles again. I won't be sporting a kindle anytime soon, but my reading is heavily assisted by technology these days. Observe the beauty that is goodreads + worldcat + your library.

Scenario. Everyone you've ever met is raving about The Help.

1. I mosey on over to goodreads to see what the fuss is all about. Holy crap, a 4.5 average rating! OK OK, I'll get my grubby paws on it already, even if it's to prove the masses wrong. Looks like there's one book to swap, I can find a new copy or Amazon or.... I can use WorldCat.



2. What is WorldCat? Only the big brother of all libraries! With one clickthrough from goodreads I can immediately see all local libraries that have this book! It remembers my location and everything. This is especially awesome in my neck of the woods where you can easily have multiple library cards for neighboring towns.



3. Now it's just a second click to my oakland library page and a third to request The Help.



4. Fast forward: I head back to goodreads to post my review and complete the circle of life.

The Help The Help by Kathryn Stockett


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This was very educational for me, but I mostly read blogs. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Instead of a proper booklist I need a pedometer for words read online (logometer?)

    ReplyDelete