Monday, September 06, 2010

a new hope

(Are we the only ones who've been watching the star wars marathon all day? Please envision the following post as written in yellow slanty streaming text. But without cgi.)

I may have only gotten paid for teaching 4 80-minute classes over the last 2 weeks, but I've been a busy unemployed bee. The seriously condensed version. I cleaned out my stuff from 2 old places of work. (Then I attempted to clean out my room to find a place to put said stuff, but only got to the stage of making things worse before it gets better.) I got taken out for lunch in Chinatown by old coworkers and treated to sushi by then-current coworkers. I volunteered at the Eat Real Fest - where I immediately got pressed into pouring overpriced local wine, which was a pretty sweet gig once I figured out how to pretend I had any idea what I was talking about. I read 4 books - mostly of the putting-your-own-problems-in-perspective genre that Inder is so fond of. I made pickles (picklewatch update coming soon!), blackberry jam, grape jelly, and I'm still splattered with tonight's batch of strawberry lavender. I took my bike on bart for the first time. I babysat Joe twice, helped Natalia move and survived our heat wave. I watched a lot of bad tv, with a sprinkling of awesome tv.

I angsted about not having a new job, and then I angsted over starting a new job. Oh, did I mention that I have a new job?? I start tomorrow. I'm teaching 2nd/3rd graders at a literacy after-school program. The commute is longer than I'd like but at least it's bike/bartable and I'm excited to actually spend some time in San Francisco. Oh, and I joined a choir! Which also starts tomorrow! I better get me some beauty rest.

ETA: I would be remiss if I didn't share this dioramarama specimen with you.

"I always focus on Imperial troops for my Labor Day images because I believe they best represent the spirit of the holiday," says Hayford. "No one works harder. And no one receives less respect or compensation. They work tirelessly until they expire."

No comments:

Post a Comment