Monday, October 25, 2010

This week in popular culture

Don't worry, I'm so neurotic that I'll never be able to sleep properly at night until I post the third and final installment of Ecuador pictures, much to the relief of all of our readers who stopped caring that we went to Ecuador two months ago, if they ever actually cared at all (they didn't). But I've been bombarded with enough multimedia overstimulants this week that I actually have some marginally interesting things to write about, so I figured I'd better not let them go to waste, or else put off blogging about them until two months have passed and all of our readers have stopped caring about whether or not I actually share them, if they ever actually cared at all (they didn't). Just last week I...

...got convinced to go to the Texas Book Festival, where I got (amenably) dragged to a panel by grammar nerds Ben Yagoda and Roy Peter Clark, which wasn't nearly as awful as I was terrified it would be. Pretentious, but jovially so. And if you go hear a talk by grammar nerds without expecting it to be pretentious... really now. It's your own damn fault. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging on the Capitol lawn with my festival companions instead of going to any other panels. We all agreed we'd gotten the better end of that bargain.

...went to see indie music's prettiest Episcopalian.

...cashed in on R's free passes to the Austin Film Festival (he's been getting them for the past couple of years in exchange for his graphic design skillz) to see a couple of pre-release movies, including "The Company Men" (if stories about 6-figure businessmen losing their jobs and having to sell their Porsches really tug at your heartstrings, or if you want to see Kevin Costner play a pretty convincing carpenter with a pretty convincing Boston accent, this is totally the film for you) and "Make Believe," a documentary about teen magicians, which R&I loved. LOVED! Oh man. So, so excellent. It's by the team behind "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters," so you KNOW they know how to do an incredibly geeky story right.

Okay, off I go. T-minus four days till the universe once again converges to bring your two bloggeresses (that word seemed like a good idea in my head, but on screen it's really just too close to "ogress" to feel flattering...) to the same place at the same time! Next stop: Rebecca in Texas!

3 comments:

  1. episcopal = adjective
    episcopalian = the person
    so sufjan is indie music's prettiest episcopalian; he is the prettiest person to attend an episcopal church, or worship in the episcopal tradition.
    (see, do i get points for obnoxiously addressing both the grammar/religious themes of the post?)
    also, HOW did i not know he was anglican?! he joins my list of "people that i am proud are also anglican" (which includes such luminaries as madeleine l'engle, desmond tutu, and bono. almost makes up for barry goldwater. almost.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that the Episcopalians use a separate word for the person and the adjective. That way they avoid the whole Chinese/Chinese confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @J: Post duly corrected. What would I do without my resident Episcopal(ian) expert??????? Also, thanks to you, I too have started to get inexplicably proud when I find out people are Anglican. (Well, mainly Episcopalian since I guess I don't actually know any other Anglican denominations. Besides "Anglican.") You may also be pleased/completely unsurprised to note that everything I know about SS's personal life/religious affiliation comes from regularly googling the latest rumors & ruminations on his ambiguous sexuality.

    @D: Let's get takeout Episcopal next time I'm in Eugene.

    ReplyDelete