Saturday, January 08, 2011

A slow start

I have been laying looooow these past couple of weeks. Items of interest?

1) I promised a final report on Read Out 2010. I finished several straggler library books, enjoyed one recently gifted book, made some progress on the nonfiction tome, and started the ubiqitous Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. In fact, Inder and I LITERALLY read out the year, putting down our books as the fireworks went off in the neighborhood... the kitchen clock was a minute slow. Anyway, I only completed 4/7 books. I suppose that's a pretty respectable weekly bookcount, and it boosted my 2010 booklist by 10%! Further stats coming soon.

2) On Monday the holiday was over and I had to go back to work! Which is generally bad enough but, wait, didn't I quit????? Sadly I had agreed to come in and clean my stuff out and chat with the new teacher. Actually it was great... it was therepeutic to throw out reams of old papers, I had all the time in the world to properly sort through the fun projects we'd completed and put them in the kids folders for posterity, and the new teacher gets my stamp of approval. Best of all I was able to spend AN UNINTERRUPTED HALF HOUR drilling multiplication with one student! Actually helping kids, how I've missed you! I've said I'll continue to come in and help out once a week, schedule permitting, so we'll see how that goes.

3) I've somehow made a habit of catsitting for Natalia and then not having been organized enough to have vacated her apartment before her return. Fortunately, she doesn't seem to mind the welcoming committee. In fact, fresh from an overnight flight from chile, she jumped on her bike and joined me on my errands! Would you believe this was actually the first joint ride I'd been on since getting old blue*! Not that N and I are strangers to riding together, we used to ride to CAST camp together every day. In fact we spent that heat wave summer of 1995 pretty much glued to our bikes.
*I have a dilemma here, in that I shudder when people name their bicycle friends, but I do feel the need to find some synonyms to shake up the bike blogging. I'll work on it.

Anyway, the mission was to deliver jam to friend of the blog Alex, who it turns out lives essentially in the shadow of AT&T park.



Then from there I went straight to the embarcadero bart to head home. Wow, I was just not prepared for this routine commute turning into a stunning sight seeing jaunt along the water, under the bay bridge and past the ferry building. On a gorgeous, sunny afternoon. How easy it would have been to just keep riding all the way along the bay trail and across the golden gate bridge! This is not an ugly place I live in.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! Ole Blue getting' a workout.

    ReplyDelete