Thursday, July 14, 2011

4th annual Canada Day book report (by way of Bastille Day)

25! It's a nice, round number, sure, but it's a new low for me. Never (in the arbitrary 4 years I've been keeping track) have I read so few books in the months from Jan-June! Woe!

It's ok. Shake it off Edwards. Look, a chart!



So many non-traditional formats! Ooh, ahh!

1) The return of audio! It turns out the reports of the death of my stereo were greatly exaggerated. There's a funny story about my new trusty mechanic and my embarrassing rube goldberg-esque method of breaking things in my car, but that's not the point here. What's the point of this list item Rebecca? I like lists. I mean, look, I listened to 4 audiobooks just in the last couple months! Once I remembered that I would rather have a broken stereo than listen to dreamy literary fiction, all was well. Please do yourself a favor and check out Will Grayson, Will Grayson on audio.

2) Graphic novels! I read one! For the first time ever in life!

3) E-books! Like the good Librarian of the Future* that I am, I downloaded the Stanza e-reader for my ipod touch. I was skeptical of reading on a small screen but I actually found it to be super easy and natural. Sure, you "turn the page" more often, but this just involves a tiny thumb motion with the hand that's already holding the ipod. This means you can even read while eating, you know, ribs! Or some equivalent messy vegetarian food item! Genius! And my carry-on bag was so light on my last trip. Like audio, I wouldn't prefer to read anything too meaty in this format, but for travel and lunch breaks it's totally blowing my mind.

4) Oh yeah, plus some of those old-fashioned paper things that I spend all day carting around. Those are pretty good too. Especially riveting non-fiction like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and Country Driving.


The Immortal Life of Henrietta LacksCountry Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory








*Trademark 2011 Richard J. Lee, laser eyes and robot dog included.

3 comments:

  1. I question your nomenclature. It's really more of a bundt cake than a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I KNEW someone was going to call me out on that. Technically it's a doughnut, but I had already titled it before I played around with different dessert-based representations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having an all-time bad year too! In my case, I blame a certain person who may or may not be small and have curly hair ...

    Dreamy fiction on audio doesn't bother me so much, but it turns out that incredibly loooooong and sad American novels do.

    ReplyDelete