1) After talking a big game for the past year about how I was going to copy Rebecca's life, I finally did it! By which I mean I submitted my school application. Presumably sometime between tomorrow and the day the program starts in January I will find out whether or not I have actually been accepted to UT's non-clinical social work Master's program.
2) Jeremy-my-one-Jewish-friend-in-Austin and I rang in 5772 with a big-screen showing of my favorite Mel Brooks movie. Two words for you: Richard Lewis. SOGOOD. (Postscript: I feel compelled to add that for reasons completely unrelated to the Days of Awe, Jeremy & I may also end up breaking our - well, my - Yom Kippur fast with a home screening of Sister Act. Don't ask. I know I know, the early 90s called, it wants its terrible family-friendly comedies back.)
3) Speaking of so-bad-they're-good movies about singing Christians: Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah are in a soon-to-be-released choir movie together. I'm sorry, could you not hear me? DOLLY PARTON AND QUEEN LATIFAH ARE IN A SOON-TO-BE-RELEASED CHOIR MOVIE TOGETHER. Jeremy and I have basically already pre-ordered our tickets.
4) And while we're on the subject of pop culture, I would be remiss if I didn't keep you all updated on the latest buzz about my supermodel obsession Andrej Pejic, which is that he's been invited to Buckingham Palace next Thursday to meet the Queen of England and everyone on the internet is dying to know whether he'll wear a suit or a dress. I promise I'll post pictures. Even though you don't care. Really it's just an excuse for me to look at pictures and blame it on you.
5) Did I mention I went to New York? And Washington DC? I didn't take any pictures which means I can't blog about it which means it probably never happened. It'll just be a secret between me and my new H&M clothes.
6) I seem to have had another cocktail honorarily named after me because it's the only one I ever order and I'm apparently never friends with people who know the names of cocktails, which is just as well because I definitely don't. In college, a "Katie" was vodka & cranberry juice but these days, it's vodka & grapefruit juice. Just so you know. I can't promise anyone at a bar in Austin will bring it to you if you ask for it (also, apparently it's actually called a Greyhound? Lame.) but if you ask me for a Katie I will be honored and totally make you one. Actually, we'll probably be out of juice or vodka or both, because we always are. But I'll take you somewhere you can get one.
7) Finally, this past September was brought to you in memory of Margo K. and Sandra G., and in honor of brand-new baby Sydney. Comings and goings. Lots of love to all of you in our extended blog family... now go hug somebody you care about.